2006/07/05

A Cartoon is worth a 1,000,000 words

From the Ventura County Star July 4th, 2006
Thank you Steve Greenberg!


To the Editor of the Ventura County Star:

Whoops, they did it again!

Well, once again the Pleasant Valley/Somis Lions Club hosted their night of torture for the animals located 500 yards away from their launch pad for the fireworks display.

Again, I was a volunteer with 40 plus other volunteers to calm and soothe these helpless and homeless animals. As I tended to a young sweet female Australian Cattle Dog mix, I sat on her kennel floor watching her go into a frantic panic. After the first few blasts, I began to well up with tears, trying to calm her, wondering why this could be permitted year after year. Did I mention that this dog bit her tongue and had blood in her mouth and some on my sleeve too as proof. I left this pup briefly to tend to my other dog to care for, this one a tiny male Silky Terrier. This poor dog did not display the frenzy as the other dog but was trembling and panting with his eyes wide open in fear. I picked him up held him close, only to feel his heart pounding out of his chest. At this moment, Supervisor Kathy Long walked by me and I said, Kathy, this is what you cannot see with your eyes, I held the dog out for her, and said feel this dogs heart beating in fear. She backed away and declined to verify (feel) the condition of the dog. I felt she was not very concerned about the condition of this dog and perhaps will once again go on record and say that this is nothing out of the ordinary for shelter animals. WRONG. This is not normal behavior for these animals, it is cruel and abusive to be subjected to loud thunderous explosions set such a short distance away. Animals do not mix with fireworks, especially next door!

To the Lions Club I say, you are not a welcome visitor on Fourth of July. Your show of patriotism is shameful. The community has numerous shows to see fireworks shows that do not torture animals. Do the right thing, stop the cruelty now. No more!

Carole Hunter

Kay, Ha, Barb, Pat & Lachlan I can't find the words to express my thanks but for now please click here ~ your admirer Hunter the honorary Poodle, wanna be protestor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home